Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast for 10 for under $10

This week my husband wanted to take breakfast to his crew at work to show appreciation for their hard work. There are 10 people, so he thought he'd just pick up 10 of the McDonald's $1 Sausage Biscuits. Ew, say I. I suggested he let me make them breakfast instead. He thought it would just be cheaper to get the $1 biscuits from BarfDonald's. This set off a mission to provide breakfast for 10 people for just $10 - and in a much healthier way.

There is a misconception in our culture that it is cheaper to buy prepared food than to cook from scratch. I'm going to show you that this just isn't true.

Note: Prices may vary by store and location. The prices provided here are from my local grocery store.

What you need:

10 cage free, organic eggs ($2.99/dozen, $0.24/egg)
16 ounce package of ground sausage ($2.99)
1 cup cheddar cheese ($2.00 for a 2 cup package, $1.00/cup)
1 batch of basic biscuits ($1.10/batch, 10 biscuits/batch)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown sausage in pan over medium heat. While sausage is cooking, lightly beat eggs in a separate bowl. Place browned sausage in a single layer of a casserole dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over sausage. Pour eggs over sausage and cheese and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake 25-30 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.

The McDonald's $1 Sausage Biscuit is just that - sausage on a biscuit. I was able to make a sausage, (organic) egg and cheese casserole and biscuits for just $7.58! And it tastes great!

Those who are familiar with me know that ground sausage is not a typical menu item around here. I don't like it, and I don't consider it healthy. However, I understand that not everyone likes or wants to eat the way I do. Many people, especially hard working men, love ground sausage. In an effort to stay with the sausage theme, meet the eaters palates and stay within cost, I went with regular ground sausage. At home, you can make this meal healthier by using organic turkey sausage or turkey bacon for close to the same price.

Note: The cheese was on sale, 2 packages for $4. However, even at it's regular price (about $0.50 more) the total cost of the meal is still under $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment