Monday, October 11, 2010

Making Stock

Over the past couple of months I have been determined to make all of our meals from scratch (or at least our dinners). This pregnancy and cooling weather has my body craving warm, fresh soups. The last couple of weeks I have experimented with making stock broth. It has turned out pretty well, so I'd like to share and enable others to make their own fresh stocks.

The first key to saving money and making good stock with fresh food is to buy whole products - whole chicken and ham, not partial. Using the chicken in soups and casseroles allows me to use 1 chicken for at least 2 different meals, and I can freeze the stock for future use. I'll be using chicken as the meat in this recipe, but ham may be used as a substitute.

To make the stock, fill a pot with water and bring to boil. While waiting for water to boil, prepare vegetables to add to stock:

1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
2-3 cloves of garlic, cut in half
2-3 large carrots, peeled and cut in half

*More vegetables, such as celery, may be used if desired.

Add the vegetables to the water. Rinse chicken and add to boiling water. Let chicken boil for about 5 minutes, then cover and simmer on low for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment